Wearing a lace frontal braids hair wig is becoming even more popular options as they give a way to change your hairstyle without the expense and time associated with going to a salon. While wigs are a great and versatile option, it’s still important to have a knowledge of the ways to keep your own hair from being damaged while wearing them.
Some important steps to take when keeping your hair healthy are:
1. Moisturize your own hair and scalp daily- Adding moisturizers will prevent dryness that could lead to breakage. Use products which contain a high amount of moisturizers like glycerine.
2. Wigs with combs may to lead to hair breakage due to the friction between your hair and the comb teeth. You can opt to remove the comb teeth with a seam ripper and use about 3-4 bobby pins instead so that the wig can adhere to your hair. You can oil the comb teeth to reduce the friction caused.
3. Wigs with caps that have tight meshes should be avioded- wigs with close-knits have very tight contact between the mesh and your own hair and this eventually lead to breakage. Look for wig with loose meshes, so there is less contact and a reduced chance of hair breakage. Another popular option is to use a silk cap under your wig but ensure that your wig cap is not pulling on your edges and this may lead to breakage in these areas.
4. Products with short chained alcohols should be avoided. These short chained alcohols such as ethyl alcohol evaporate easily from the hair products after being applied and leaving hair dry and more prone to damage. If your hair products contain a lot of alcohols ensure it is a moisturizing one such as ceteryl alcohol.
5. Don’t wear wigs always. It’s important to allow your hair to breathe from time to time. Constant wearing of wigs usually results in breakage. Allow your hair to to have a break from wearing wigs often.
6. Moisturize and wrap your own hair with a silk cap before going to bed each night. This prevents your hair from becoming dried out by the cotton pillowcases and sheet and also prevents hair breakage.
7. Remove your wig, shampoo and condition your own hair every week and each month you should also deep condition your hair to add strength and moisture, also an important step to maintain healthy hair.
8. When braiding you hair, to get a great results its best to have all of it braided under your wig.